7 Ways to Practice Self Love this February
Whether you're single or taken there's no better month to treat yourself than February, the month of love. After the holidays and New Year many of us are feeling depleted and it's important to take a moment to check in with ourselves. Give yourself permission to take a personal day for some much needed TLC. Here are my favorite practices for a day of self care.
1. Sleep in as late at your heart desires. Don't set an alarm, don't look at the clock, don't give yourself a time you have to get up by; just stay in bed until you're ready to begin the day.
2. Make yourself your favorite healthy breakfast. Whatever it is that makes you feel good when you eat it. This one is super simple, but can have a huge effect on your day. If you eat a breakfast that's delicious but unhealthy, you know you're not only going to regret it (and cause mental stress by chastising yourself about it) but you won't feel good physically either.
3. Make a big cup of coffee or tea and sit down to center yourself. I like to journal or write in my planner. You can take this time just to gaze out of your window and enjoy the sights or perhaps meditate.
4. Do something you love. Read a book you haven't had time to, go to a yoga class, or just sit in your favorite cafe and write or people watch. Whatever makes you happiest, spend some time doing exactly that.
5. Treat yourself. Make a point to do something that you wouldn't normally do. I love buying myself a nice bouquet and some of my favorite chocolate. You can get a massage or a manicure. This should be something that makes you feel like you are indulging.
DON'T FORGET: release thoughts of stress or fear ("I shouldn't be doing this.", "I don't deserve this.") and conjure thoughts of love and abundance ("I am allowing self care because I am worthy of love.", "I have boundless love for myself and I honor that love through self care.")
6. End your day with physical pleasure. I love the ritual of taking a bath with lots of salts and fragrances. My favorites right now are Florapothecarie's Rose and Coconut Milk Bath. (Check out her Bath Teas and Salts here.) Light candles and take some time to close your eyes and relax. Try a face mask or a body scrub and then take a hot shower. Take some time to stretch or use a foam roller if you have one.
7. End your day like you started it. Get in bed early and reflect on your self care routine. Journal or meditate and then get comfy and sleep!
If an entire day of self love feels overwhelming to you, just start off with one or two of these practices and notice how it feels. I truly believe feeling comfortable and confident enough to spend a complete day just for yourself is one of the most rewarding and relaxing things we can do for ourselves. Keep reminding yourself that you are worthy of self care! What's your favorite form of self-love? Let me know in the comments!